Allergy Shots in San Jose & San Francisco
What are allergy shots?
Allergy shots are a series of injections that patients can opt to receive to lower their immune system reaction to an allergen–or a substance that causes an allergic reaction. The series of injections, also known as immunotherapy, trains the immune system to no longer react to the allergen by exposing it to small amounts of the substance over time. Shots are usually given on a weekly or monthly basis and may be given for a period of three to five years.
Why are allergy shots used?
Allergy shots are commonly used for patients who suffer from:
- Seasonal allergies, which cause symptoms that occur only during certain seasons and are caused by tree, grass, or weed pollen.
- Indoor allergens, causing year-round symptoms that are triggered by cockroaches, mold, dust mites, or pet dander.
- Insect stings, which are reactions to hornet, bee, wasp, or yellow jacket stings.
Speak with your doctor at eos sleep to determine whether allergy shots are a good treatment choice for you. Allergy shots may be a good option for you if:
- Allergy medications have not worked for you
- You are allergic to insect stings
- You would like to reduce your allergy medication use
- Allergy medicine is interfering with your other medications
What do allergy shots involve?
Before beginning allergy shots, your doctor may ask you to have allergy testing done to determine which specific allergen is causing your reaction.
During the course of your allergy shots, you will undergo two phases of treatment:
- The buildup phase is the first portion of your treatment, during which your doctor will inject you with increasing amounts of the allergen over a period of three to six months in most cases. Shots are usually given one to three times per week during this phase.
- The maintenance phase begins after the buildup phase and usually continues for about three to five years. During this phase, shots are given about once a month.
Each shot is done in a doctor’s office at eos sleep and takes about 30 minutes to complete.
What are the benefits of having allergy shots?
Benefits of having allergy shots from an eos sleep physician include the following:
- Allergy symptoms usually begin to improve within the first year and are notably improved by the second year
- Shots are quick and cause minimal discomfort
- Treatment is performed by a certified physician
- Allergy shots are often covered by insurance
If you are suffering from allergies and believe you may benefit from allergy shots, the first step is to consult with our certified experts at eos sleep. Call 1-800-EOS-SLEEP today or fill out the form on this page to schedule an appointment or to learn more about the allergy relief options available with eos sleep.