LAUP or Laser-Assisted Uvulopalatoplasty
What is laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty or LAUP?
A laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty (LAUP) is a minimally-invasive sleep apnea procedure that shrinks the size of an enlarged or elongated uvula using laser technology. The treatment opens up the airway and provides relief from symptoms of snoring and sleep apnea. The laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty is an in-office procedure that usually takes less than 30 minutes and performed using local anesthesia.
Why is laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty surgery performed?
Board certified ear, nose, and throat specialists at eos sleep perform LAUP in order to:
- Decrease size of uvula
- Decrease loudness of snoring
- Limit uvula vibration during breathing
- Manage mild to moderate sleep apnea
What does a LAUP surgery involve?
Using laser technology, the uvula and its surrounding area are targeted to gently remove excess tissue and reduce the size of the uvula, resulting in a larger airway and less chance of a blocked airway during sleep. The precision and control afforded by the state-of-the-art laser technology minimizes damage to surrounding tissue and results in faster recovery.
What are the benefits of having the surgery?
The benefits of undergoing LAUP with eos sleep’s ear, nose, and throat specialists include:
- Minimally invasive procedure
- Performed in a single office visit
- Local anesthetic used to ease discomfort
- Provides results with less discomfort than traditional uvula removal surgery (uvulopalatopharyngoplasty)
- Significantly decreases snoring intensity within weeks
- Minimal throat soreness (speaking is not impacted)
- Normal activity can be resumed quickly
- Less blockage of airway
If you are suffering from sleep apnea and believe you may benefit from laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty, the first step is to consult with a sleep health expert. Ear, nose, and throat specialists at eos sleep have extensive experience in treating sleep apnea with minimally invasive procedures. Call 1-212-873-6036 today or fill out the form on this page to schedule an appointment or to learn more about eos sleep treatment options.